April 4th, 2003

letters

No news is... Well... No news.

I'm not necessarily the most patient person in the world. But when everyone is antsy... well, I can always try to be the voice of calm & reason. Well, that routine is getting old. We're now into the third day of this mess and we still know very little.

This morning, they transfered my mom to a hospital here in Franklin... So, she's is capable hands and just over the hill from my apartment. The small 50-bed hospital in Smallville is nice for your average generic illness... But so far, whatever is plaguing my mom seems anything but average & generic.

Her new, big city surgeon is supposed to stop by this afternoon around 5 p.m. I'm at my apartment now and headed back to the hospital shortly. I snuck off long enough to pay my rent and get some things together. I'm going into work tonight at 7 p.m. I was supposed to be there during today, too, but I swapped shifts with someone so I could be there for the transfer, admission, etc.

Wednesday, it was easy to be calm. The same act on Thursday wasn't difficult, either. But now, in the middle of the afternoon on Friday, I'm tired. I'm ready to know what's wrong... And to know what lies ahead for my mom and my family. I'm ready to make something happen. I'm ready for some good news, too. I'm not really up for anything shitty. So, please throw some love our way and let's pray for the best.
  • Current Music
    The rattle of the ceiling fan.
  • Tags
got fletch

This just in...

I think it's safe to say that the prayers & good thoughts helped.

Our big city surgeon came in today around 6ish to say that, unlike our first surgeon in Smallville, he doesn't see five pockets of cysts and isn't as concerned about the two cysts he does see. He doesn't know anything concrete, but he thinks this could quite possibly be an abdominal inflammatory sort of thing.

Of course, this is just an opinion... but it's supposedly an opinion based on his feelings and the feelings of four members of the radiology department. In my book, that outweighs the opinion of a lone small-town surgeon. I consider today's news to be very good. Of course, I was shooting for anything but cancer... And, for now, that's what we've got.

The weekend will be more wait and see... She remains in the hospital so they can control her pain and observe her. However, I don't mind the waiting so much when the news I'm waiting for isn't so gloomy. With that said, I'm trying not to get too happy too soon. After they observe her, the doctor said they might go in and take a look with a scope to see what's happening in there. They could find something worse. I realize that. But I'm not going to spend time worrying about the "what ifs" now. I'm just going to hang out and soak up a bit of relief.

Again, thanks for your support... Please know that it helped and will be appreciated until this thing is resolved.
  • Current Music
    Radio Traffic
  • Tags